28 July 2006

[63] A Truly Scary Story (^_^) - 2006/07/25 (Tue)

Back then, I was still working as an ordinary company man.
It might be difficult to imagine now, but
I worked like a dog everyday
from 8 in the morning until 12 at night.
See, nearly everybody in the company retired at once,
and so we were incredibly busy...
Of course, even with my poor physical condition,
I couldn't afford to take a day off of work.
If I let myself have even one day off, the work would just pile up.

One day, I started getting a fever...
A cold? I thought, and sure enough, when I took my tempurature and it was 38 degrees...
I've always had a weak constitution, and so a little bit of a fever didn't worry me,
so I took a cold remedy to hold it off and went to work.

The next day, my fever hadn't gone down. But I went to work.
The next day, my fever still hadn't gone down. But I kept at it and went to work.
Same thing the next day, and the next...
Thank goodness, I had one suppository remaining from a family member's old prescription,
and so with a little daily help (^_^) from that suppository, my temperature fell.

At that point, I really thought it had just been a cold.

My days continued without sleep and at night I had feverish nightmares,
and exactly one week passed.
Without any more suppositories, I had to go to work with a fever.

On that morning, I somehow managed to do some work,
but by the afternoon, I had chills in my whole body...
I couldn't stop shivering.
My senses weren't very clear.
But, in my head,
I kept thinking I had no choice.
"Keep working, keep working."

Really, I didn't have even one free moment to take a break,
but my manager saw my ghastly complexion,
and had just one word for me:
'What are you doing here? Get to the hospital!'

And still, I dismissed the idea at first. Taking a rest was too much of a bother,
and I wanted to avoid going to the hospital as much as possible...
Except, my fever hadn't gone down that much, so it was actually a good idea,
and so I ended up heading for the local hospital.

I headed for the hospital on foot, huffing and puffing with my high fever,
and for some reason my ankles hurt.
What? Why does it hurt so bad? I said, and when I tried to lift up the cuff on my pants...
my ankles had swollen up to twice thier regular size!
"That's weird... Why my ankles...?"
Gradually, walking became painful,
but somehow I made it to the hospital.

At that time, I was already thinking that it was not a cold.

Doctor 'Wow, how long have you had a fever?'
Me "... More than a week..."
Doctor 'Why didn't you come in earlier!'
Me 'I, well, I couldn't take of work...'
Doctor "Well, for now, can you fill out these forms for urgent hospitalization?
Me "What? I mean, hospitalization? ...Absolutely impossible! It's impossible."
Doctor 'Three more days, and you'll have no feet."
Me '............' speechless.

Feet? What? I said, the information not completely sinking in,
but it seemed that somehow or other my state of total exhaustion had weakened my immune system and powers of resistance,
and germs had bred in that section of my weakened body.

How did my fever affect my foot...?
Breeding in the weak section of my body...? Oh wait!
Now that you mention it, my ankles always hurt from snowboarding in the winter... (^^;)

Except why the germs chose to breed and invade my feet when the rest of my body was weak,
the doctor couldn't explain.
The pain in my legs from snowboarding had long since healed.

But when I had a fever, why didn't my foot hurt then?
It was the suppository, the suppository. In trying to get the fever down, it concealed the source of the illness.
You could say my crude tactics were the origin of the injury. (^_^)

And so, not taking even one day off of work turned into to two weeks off of work.
It was really a bother for a person such as myself who hates hospitals...
Actually, it made me think hard... maybe it's better that I get a medical examine as early as possible. (T_T)

'It's my own body, I should know it best.'
What a big lie. (^_^)

People who hate hospitals, if you think, my body's doing strange things, huh?
get to a hospital right away.
You never know what will happen if you delay.
And of course taking a break is important.
People with amazing endurance, even they need a break once in a while.

A truly scary story (O.O)

P.S. Good thing I've still got my feet...


[good. freaking. lord, that was long. although, i can totally sympathize with being sick all the time and not wanting to go to the hospital. still, YOU-kun! take care of yourself, huh? ki wo tsukere ne?]

No comments: