15 September 2007

[469] The Tearful Last Episode (^_^) - 2007/09/16 (Sun)

Finally, 300 meters until the summit.

When I say only 300 meters, please try an imagine...

It was like starting up the stairs of Tokyo Tower after walking a mountain path for seven continuous hours. (^^;)

The experienced Fuji mountain climbers said that the crucial moment started after the eight tenths mark, and I instantly felt like if that's the case, I'd better start climbing now. From there, it's a mixture of the gravel path and narrow rocky areas. Plus the slope gets even steeper. (T_T) Of course, the closer you get to the summit, the harder it gets. (bwahahah)

Frankly, it was a good thing I took a little rest in the hut... If it had all been a climb like that, jeez, I absolutely could not have climbed it. (^^;) Well, the sun was climbing, so the temperature was only rising, but still, it was extremely serious.

Here, I have some light advice. (^_^) People doing next year's challenge, please set up your winter wear precisely. The night is so cold that it's freezing, and you can hardly take any rest. It'll give you the impression of a snowy mountain in winter.

So, this time, however, I was shined upon by the direct rays of the sun, and I was suddenly dripping with sweat. Walking above the clouds (^_^) it was good weather, with a comfortable breeze, and I thought that it must be a lot of fun if you're healthy. (^^;) As it was... I really didn't have room for that kind of thing... (^_^)

Each time I took a step forward, I recalled various things. Things of from when I came to the capital until now, it was like I was watching my whole life turning round and round in my head.

'How many tough things have I been through until now and I never gave up...' I remembered various hardships and difficulties.

And also, I remembered seeing everyone's smiling faces from the stage...

As I got closer to the summit, my emotions gradually shot higher, until, when I finally made it through the torii at the summit, for some reason, tears were streaming down my face. Even the sunrise hadn't brought me to tears, but of course, it was probably the feeling of great achievement that came from reaching the summit...

Maaan (^_^) I'm truly glad I climbed it. (*great satisfaction*)

The old man from the hut had said, 'It's only an hour and a half to the summit,' and I was pretty late at two and a half hours, but in the end, I had safely made it to the summit in about four hours!! *

Everything was closed at the top, the shrines, the little huts, even the toilets, so I went to see the crater for a little bit and then started right back down again. Of course, the crater basin would have been overdoing it. (^^;)

My strength and power were more than I thought they'd be going down, but still, I had used up all my strength in the climb to the summit, so there was already nothing but pain to be had. (^_^)

But, if I didn't go down, I couldn't get home, so giving up was absolutely not an option. (^_^)

On the descent, there was nothing to interrupt the sunlight, so my skin got quite burnt. It might have been a good idea to bring a hat, or some sunscreen, or a face mask or something.

With one thing and another, I made it down the mountain in 4~5 hours. My feet were already slapping along before the end. I was already completely exhausted, to the point where I felt like I couldn't walk even on one leg. Well, I'd been walking for something like half a day, so I guess it's no wonder, but still. (*exhausted*)

This time, I had to do it all in one night, but if you can, you should go up in one or even two nights. Climb through the morning, stay in one of the huts about the seventh or eighth tenth, aim for the summit at sunrise, see the crater, then go down and get home maybe that night, that seems like the schedule for a fun mountain climb. (^_^)

There were truly men and women of all ages at the summit, from children about 3-years-old to old men, all sorts of people had climbed that mountain.

I think anyone can climb Mt Fuji as long as they've got a healthy body. Up there, there is no 'Climb?' or 'Don't climb?'

Please, try to climb it at least once. I think there's merit in trying to climb it.

I'll have my revenge one day, too. (^_^)

In the end... Of course, Mt Fuji was magnificent. (^_^) Also, to people who helped me out, to people who sent info by word of mouth, truly thank you.

P.S. On Mt Fuji, there's a saying, 'A fool not to climb it once, a fool to climb it twice,' but I'd rather be the fool that climbs it. (^_^)

Well then, that was long, but everyone, have a nice weekend~


[ * the average time to climb fuji-san is five hours.
speaking of five hours, it feels like i've been translating this one entry for five hours. however, maaan (^_^) i'm truly glad i translated it. (bwahahah) ]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 hrs to translate? holy.. woman.. i admire u..

meredeth said...

heheh. it didn't actually take me five hours. if it had, you wouldn't have seen it until today, probably. it sure felt long, though. (^_^)

Anonymous said...

Oi. I also admire you for translating all of this. You're more of a loyal Robot Clone tahn I am T.T *hands over an award*